In two weeks we will begin one of the biggest seasons the Hollywood Pantages has ever seen! We know that tickets for the 2016-17 are selling quickly but don’t despair. We want to let you in on the secret that is the mezzanine. We have compiled 7 excellent reasons you should give the mezzanine a try!
1.The ushers will tell you that it is their favorite place in the theatre to sit. Who better to take advice from than someone who has seen the same show from every angle of the theatre multiple times?
2. The stadium seating is more pronounced, much like a movie theater. If you happen to be on the shorter side or are attending the theatre with small children this allows for better visibility should someone tall sit in front of you.
3. Speaking of kids, sitting in the mezzanine is great if you have small children and need to step out frequently for bathroom breaks or need to stretch your legs.
4. The restroom lines move faster upstairs. There are only 950 seats in the mezzanine and 1,750 downstairs. That means there are fewer people using the restrooms upstairs and it helps that the ladies restroom in the mezzanine is the largest ladies room in the theatre.
5. Sitting in the mezzanine feels more intimate. Like we mentioned before, there are only 950 seats in the mezz. Depending on where you are sitting you may not be able to see the folks sitting in the orchestra making it feel like your own private theatre.
6. Secret Tip: Row J in the mezzanine has the most foot room of any row in the theatre. The people in the front row of the theatre may have some extra foot room as well but they are looking straight up the actor’s noses. In row J you get to stretch out and enjoy the view in front of you.
7. The view of the beautiful blue ceiling and chandelier are much better in the mezzanine. Take some time before the show and really explore the ceiling. We find new details in it all the time.
There are a few things The Hollywood Pantages is known for. The beautiful Art Deco architecture, the glowing chandeliers, our dazzling marquee, and of course our wonderful shows. There is one other thing about us that is simply unique. Beyond the chandelier and the scrolling ceiling facade is the beautiful sprawling blue ceiling. Check out the photos below as we venture into “Howard’s Hideaway” to see the blue ceiling up close.
Howard Nugent Master Electrician at the Hollywood Pantages takes us into his “Hideaway” above the scrolling ceiling facade.
Blue light glows above the theatre as we peer through the ceiling facade to the mezzanine seats below.
The chandelier is visible hanging over the seats of the mezzanine from above the ceiling facade.
Blue gels are used to create the blue ceiling effect.
Howard Nugent explains how the blue gels work to create blue ceiling effect.
The Nederlander “N” is visible from our location above the scrolling ceiling facade
Many photos have been taken over the years of the beautiful Grand Chandelier that illuminates The 2,703 seats beneath it every performance. There is another view that most people don’t get to see and that is the view from inside the Grand Chandelier. Check out the video and photos below as our own Master Electrician, Howard Nugent takes a walk around the inside of the Grand Chandelier.
A view of the stage from inside the chandelier. (Photo Credit Howard Nugent)
A view of house right from inside the chandelier. (Photo Credit Howard Nugent)
A small opening from the ceiling allows access to a narrow ladder that climbs down to the chandelier. (Photo Credit Howard Nugent)
The great detail seen in all other parts of the theatre continues into the ceiling just above the chandelier. (Photo Credit Howard Nugent)
A look through the small opening down the ladder into the chandelier.
Master Electrician Howard Nugent climbs down the small ladder into the chandelier
Subscribe to our newsletter in order to receive the latest news & articles. We promise we won't spam your inbox!